First published May 30, 2016
Vivid Festival, Sydney’s annual festival of light, culture and ideas, is back! Amidst the jampacked program of international music artists, brilliant light shows over the Sydney Opera House, and inspiring speakers, here’s our picks for people interested in startups, entrepreneurship, medicine and creativity.
Vivid Sydney 2016, Opera House, Lighting The Sails, Songlines. Artist: Donny Woolagoodja. 26/5/2016 Photo Credit – James Horan/Destination NSW
- Sunrise Conference hosted by Blackbird Ventures. Not strictly medical, but very inspirational for the calibre of Australian success stories that are presenting- the likes of Atlassian, Canva, Planet Labs and Vinomofo and Stylerunner are on the lineup! Learn how they worked their way to success. The conference runs today and, if you missed out on tickets or can’t make it, they’ll be live-streaming from their website! Follow @blackbirdvc on Twitter and #TheSunrise with any questions.
- Building Better Futures for Healthcare: A Product Design Challenge – Imagine Shark Tank for MedTech. Participants will have the chance to win $25,000 in funding for their startups, provided by ide Group, and network with members of the medtech community.
- Design for Social Innovation brings together people concerned with improving health outcomes for the elderly. Learn from insightful talks by speakers in this field.
- Dare to Design Healthcare is a brainstorm session bringing together healthcare workers, designers, and anyone else who’s interested in designing better solutions for healthcare’s biggest problems. Attendees will be taught the principles of design thinking, and apply this to the workshop.
- Visualising the Future of Biomedicine, with VizbiPlus. Learn about life science animations and translating research data into visual information. The finalists and winner of this year’s VizbiPlus visual arts challenge will also be presented.
- Startup Funding Secrets will present speakers from various startups including Doctus, on how they raised funds.
- Do Good, Be Good will discuss how art can deliver social impact on health issues like anxiety and dementia. A two-part event featuring its conference and keynote. Co-hosted by a member of NYU’s Environmental Health Clinic.
- Making to Innovate: Play with 3D Printing and New Technologies. Sign up for an afternoon introduction to 3D Printing at the Michael Crouch Innovation Centre, UNSW. You’ll get to see how to create a file and how 3D printers work.
- MakerSpace &co Present: A Week in the Workshopis an application-only week-long workshop where you can work on your idea in a maker lab.
- Rare Birds Convention: featuring speakers from across multiple industries- panel includes robotics engineer Marita Cheng, who does incredible work with engineering and healthcare.